These simple Lentil Burgers are an amazing protein different to meat dinners. A versatile recipe that may simply be tailored to make lentil balls or croquettes – excellent for little arms!
Lentils are a kind of components that I’ve in my pantry and depend on each week. They’re versatile, may be saved for lengthy intervals of time and are excellent in hearty winter meals however are equally nearly as good in scrumptious summer time salads.
These Lentil Burgers may be loved any time of the yr and, as they freeze properly, they are often prepped forward of time for a simple weeknight dinner.
What Lentils Ought to I Use in Lentil Burgers
Each time I put up a lentil recipe I’m requested, with out fail, whether or not the number of lentil I’ve used may be subbed for a special selection. Every lentil selection cooks up otherwise and due to this fact swimsuit various kinds of meals.
- Crimson / Yellow Cut up Lentils break down when cooked and have a delicate “mushy” texture. They’re excellent for stews/soups. I like to make use of them to make Lentil Pancakes and delicate finger meals for infants, similar to these Lentil, Carrot and Candy Potato Croquettes.
- Brown / Inexperienced Lentils preserve their form extra when cooked however can go mushy if overcooked. I like to make use of these lentils in lentil tacos (I need to put up my recipe for this quickly) or when making meat different sauces (like lentil bolognese).
- Puy Lentils are a firmer lentil that retains their form when cooked. They’re scrumptious in salads.
- Black Beluga Lentils are small lentils that maintain their form and agency texture when cooked. I additionally like to make use of these lentils in salads.
When creating this recipe I made a decision to strive the burgers utilizing totally different lentil varieties. I experimented utilizing crimson break up lentils, inexperienced lentils, puy lentils and canned lentils. I’ve detailed the outcomes under
- Inexperienced – Good texture and flavour. Simple to deal with and sticks / holds collectively properly.
- Crimson Cut up – Clean texture, best for infants/youngsters with textural points, delicate and tougher to deal with however nonetheless cook dinner up properly with care.
- Puy – Good flavour and really textured. Though it cooks up properly it doesn’t stick collectively as properly and extra care is required when cooking
- Canned – Good texture and flavour. Simple to deal with and holds collectively rather well.
I additionally tried
- Mixing the Inexperienced Lentil Combination – Clean texture, best for infants and child with textural points. Holds collectively rather well and is simple to deal with when cooking.
Canned Lentil Burgers
In the event you determine to used canned lentils then the cooking course of is totally different. You’ll not have to cook dinner the lentils and you’ll have to cook dinner the potato individually (utilizing your most well-liked cooking technique.)
I cooked the greens as per directions after which added the spices. I combined the greens with the can of lentils (drained) and added 130g (half cup) of mashed candy potato. The remainder of the cooking directions remained the identical.
Fry or Bake Lentil Burgers?
I attempted pan frying and baking the burgers. Pan frying produced the higher end result. The baked burgers have been barely drier however each my boys have been more than pleased to eat them.
Lentil Burgers for Infants / Toddlers
As detailed above, crimson lentils produce a smoother and softer burger that infants could choose. You can too mix the burger combination to realize a clean texture.
In the event you choose, you may make chunk sized balls or croquettes with the combination. If making balls, I discover that baking them is less complicated than pan frying.
The right way to Retailer Lentil Burgers
I like to make a double batch of those burgers in order that I can freeze them for fast and simple midweek dinners.
I freeze the patties earlier than cooking them. Freeze flat on a baking sheet till stable, about Three hours. Switch to freezable container / zip lock bag. They may preserve within the freezer for about Three months.
Have you ever tried this recipe? I really like listening to your suggestions. Please fee and depart a remark under or tag me on Instagram.
In search of extra wholesome child recipes?Join my free recipe publication to get new household pleasant recipes in your inbox every week! Discover me sharing extra kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
These simple Lentil Burgers are an amazing protein different to meat dinners
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Complete Time: 10 minutes
Hover over “serves” worth to disclose recipe scaler
- 1 tbsp Oil
- half onion
- half tsp Minced Garlic
- half Celery Stalk
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 250g (0.55 lb) Candy Potato, peeled and reduce into 1cm cubes *SEE NOTE 2
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder *SEE NOTE 1
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- half tsp Cumuin
- 115g (half cup) Dry Inexperienced Lentils *SEE NOTE 3
- (1 half cups) Water
- 1 Egg
- 24g 1/Four cup Dried Breadcrumbs *SEE NOTE 4
- 1 tbsp Oil (for frying patties)
Warmth oil in a big pan over a medium warmth. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots then cut back the warmth to low and cook dinner for approx. 5 minutes (till softened.)
Add the candy potato, curry powder, smoked paprika & cumin then stir for an additional minute.
Add the lentils & water. Convey to the boil, then cut back the warmth to low and permit to simmer till cooked, delicate and water absorbed (approx. 25 minutes)
(OPTIONAL) In case your kids don’t like seeing “bits” of their meals or choose smoother textured burgers then you’ll be able to mix the combination at this stage. Add to a meals processor till mix till clean.
Switch the combination to a mixing bowl and permit to chill. Add the egg and breadcrumbs then stir till mixed.
Divide the combination to kind Four patties. (You may make smaller ones if prefered)
Warmth the oil in a big frypan over a medium warmth. Cook dinner the patties for 4-5 minutes all sides or till golden and warmed by means of. (*SEE NOTE 5 for Oven Cooking)
- Curry powders can range tremendously and might change the style of the dish. Test the components and keep away from those who have a excessive salt content material if cooking for infants and younger toddlers.
- You possibly can change the candy potato with common potato.
- You possibly can sub the inexperienced lentils for different varieties. Please see above put up for my outcomes. If utilizing canned lentils, you’ll be able to change the 115g of raw lentils with 1 400g can of lentils. You’ll not have to cook dinner the lentils and you’ll need to cook dinner the potato individually (utilizing your most well-liked cooking technique.) If utilizing leftover cooked potato add 130g (half cup) mashed potato.) Be conscious of the added sodium in canned lentils. Drain and rinse the lentils completely to scale back the salt ranges.
- I attempted the recipe with each contemporary and dried breadcrumbs. The dried breadcrumbs gave a greater end result. In the event you do want to sub with contemporary breadcrumbs you should use the identical g weight or change the 1/Four cup of dried with 1/Three cup of contemporary.
- In the event you choose, you’ll be able to bake these lentil burgers. The tip result’s barely dryer however they’re nonetheless good and my boys have been comfortable to eat them. Preheat oven to 190C / 375F. Add the burgers to a lined baking tray, calmly spray with oil and bake for round 25min, turning midway by means of the cooking time. For infants and youthful kids, who like smaller portion sizes, you should use the combination to make small balls or croquettes.
Dietary info is a tough GUIDE solely, calculated utilizing a web based calculator. Outcomes will range relying on lentil selection, potato selection, cooking technique and many others.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 271 Energy from Fats 72
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g5%
Ldl cholesterol 40mg13%
Vitamin A 11760IU235%
Vitamin C 5.9mg7%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie diet.